Updated: Mar 25
For those who don't know, I am a huge Lord of the Rings fan, and pretty much every year I will marathon the trilogy either alone or with friends.
My favorite day to do this is September 22nd, which is the birthday of both Frodo and Bilbo Baggins, and is also known as Hobbit Day.
This year for the event I wanted to make my own version of Lembas bread (aka Way bread), which is an elvish food designed to be compact and super filling, for more info click here
I looked up some short bread recipes and adapted them to be gluten free and vegan, turned out super yummy! Here's how I made them, in case you wanted to make some for yourself for your next adventure
2 cups Oat Flour (ground up rolled oats in a blender)
1/4 cup Honey (I know some vegans don't consider honey as vegan. in that case substitute for maple syrup)
1/2 cup Coconut Oil
1/2 cup Peanut Butter (can be substituted for pretty much any kind of nut or seed butter or just more oil!)
pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. Heat coconut oil to liquid
3. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, it helps to do the wet ones first and then add in the flour!
4. Portion out desired amount, I used between 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of the mix for each piece depending on the size!
5. Line a cookie sheet with non stick silicone mat or parchment paper
6. Flatten dough and shape into a square
7. Score the 'X' marking with the back of a knife
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown
9. Wait for them to cool, dry and cut strips of banana leaves
10. Wrap your lembas bread in the banana leaves, tie it off with some string, and GO ON AN ADVENTURE AND SLAY SOME ORCS